An annuity is a financial investment product sold through insurance companies and banks. Typically designed to pay out income,
though they also offer savings with the advantage of tax
deferred growth. Annuities are often used as part of a retirement strategy. Annuities are a popular choice for investors who want to focus on safety of principal and want to receive a steady income stream in retirement.
What is an Annuity?
If an insurance company goes out of business other insurance companies licensed in state must assume bankrupt insurers obligations and liabilities. Note that this protection protects fixed-rate annuity holders only, with some protection afforded to variable annuity owners. They are very similar to CDs offered by banks. Just like banks insurance companies offer different rates and returns on annuity investments.
Advantages of Annuities:
All annuities have three primary advantages: Tax Deferral, Avoidance of Probate, and a Guaranteed Income (optional) for a fixed period of time, or income for life. More specific reasons to invest in fixed and immediate annuities:
- You need to safely create wealth for your heirs
- You need tax-deferred growth
- You need your principal and interest guaranteed
- You need your heirs to avoid probate upon your death
- You need an increased death benefit
- You need stock-market linked gains without the downside risk
- You have money that is designated for inheritance
- You do not need more than 10% liquidity annually
- Fixed Annuity Features
- Fixed Annuity Performance
- Finding the Best Fixed Annuity
- Fixed Annuity Disadvantages
- Fixed Annuity Pitfalls
- Immediate Fixed Annuities
- Deferred Annuities
- Multi-Year Guaranteed Annuities
- Equity Indexed Annuity Features
- Equity Indexed Annuity Performance
- Finding the Best Equity Indexed Annuity
- Equity Indexed Annuity Disadvantages
Annuity Calculator & Quotes
If you are considering buying an annuity, let us run you a free, no obligation quote to give you a better idea of what you can expect. You can also contact a local annuity specialist to answer any specific questions you may have.